International Health Insurance

All Georgetown students, faculty and staff traveling abroad for university-related purposes are required to be enrolled in health insurance which covers them overseas and which provides coverage for emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.


Students participating in university-sponsored international programs are required to have the Study Abroad Plan. Enrollment in the Study Abroad Plan is managed through the Student Health Insurance Office (SHI). The program’s department or group leader will work with SHI to complete the enrollment process.

If you are an individual student whose international travel is university-sponsored or affiliated, you should confirm coverage with your primary health insurance provider.  If needed, purchase supplemental health insurance for the period of time you will be overseas. 

Faculty and Staff

The Georgetown health insurance plans provide adequate coverage. Contact the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits for more information about the specific international coverage that is included in your policy. If you are enrolled in a non-university health insurance plan, confirm coverage with that provider directly. Should you need additional coverage for the time that you are traveling overseas, you may choose one of the following options:

  1. Enroll in the CISI Fac/Staff plan. Contact for enrollment information.
  2. Purchase coverage from another provider. The Office of Risk Management maintains a list of international health insurance providers on their website.