International Travel Preparedness
Travel Smart, Stay Safe
Secure the following essential items:
- Travel documents: passport, valid visa, ID cards, plane ticket, itinerary
- Health: immunizations, insurance, medicines
- Finance: access to emergency funds
Complete the International Travel Authorization process (applies to all students and faculty or staff traveling with students).
Register your travel with International SOS and enroll in the U.S. State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
Research the location(s) you will be traveling to.
Contact the Travel Clinic at 202-444-0086 for pre-travel consultations and immunizations.
Review the cybersecurity Travel Tips provided by University Information Services.
Make sure you understand how Export Controls and International Research Collaboration regulations may affect your research.
- Keep your legal documents safe and secure.
- Be aware of local customs that may present safety risks.
- Respect the local culture and customs.
- Register with local U.S. authorities.
- Stay in touch with loved ones.
- Keep program staff informed of your whereabouts and well-being.
- Travel in groups when possible.
- Avoid protests.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Use common sense.
Keep your GU International SOS membership card and emergency contact information handy at all times.